Monday, November 25, 2013

PDJ

In my human development class we were asked to look at our lives, a Personal Death Journal. In this we got asked deep questions that ultimately made you think about life and how unregretful it is towards you.  Now I know thats not a word, but thats exactly what I mean. No matter what happens life is not going to make things right or okay, that is up to you.

I love this quote, I do not know who it is by, but it really gets to me,
"10% of life is what happens to you, 90% is how you react to it."

So this post will be on how I answered some of the questions. and how I feel..

The one question that stuck out to me was, "If you die before you have the chance to watch your son grow up, do you have anything for them to hold onto, and cherish? So I wrote a letter, and am going to share it with you all.

"Dear Son, I know that this letter is something I never wished to write. I have only known you for a couple months but know that I love you more than you could ever imagine loving someone. My son, This life: know that it is precious. You've got to grasp at every little whiff of it that passes by you. It won't be easy. It won't be certain. Not now and not in your unimaginable future. Don't be surprised--No, embrace the stiff winds and the lonely heights. Remember your name. Never turn away from the right course because it's hard. And above all, love. Scrape out the bottom of your soul and love for all your worth. And when you find her, risk everything. Die a thousand deaths to get her. And don't look back. And when you're older, older than I'll ever be, blow on the embers of that first heroic choice and you will be warmed and sustained. And someday, you'll have a son. And remember that he is your greatest gift. Tell him these things. Make a man of him. Love him. Don't live to get money. Have a few things but make them good things. Take care of them and learn how they work. There's beauty in the smell of a good machine and old leather."


1 comment:

  1. Wow. That is a powerful letter. To complete this post, it would be helpful to end it with some thoughts on how completing this assignment affected you and/or why this same type of introspection might be interesting/helpful for your reader.

    ReplyDelete